Home Department Info FAQs Newsletters Phone Directory

Georgetown County Sheriff's Office

Animal Control and Enforcement Unit

  • Location: 430 North Fraser Street, Georgetown, SC 29440
  • Phone: (843) 546-5101
  • Fax: (843) 546-2752
  • E-mail: Lt. Michael Nelson
  • Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Response after hours only to emergency calls.

The Georgetown County Sheriff's Office Animal Control and Enforcement Unit enforces animal control laws in the unincorporated areas of Georgetown County. The Animal Control and Enforcement Unit is responsible for the following:

-Patrolling the county for violations of the animal control laws
-Investigating reports of animal control law violations
-Assisting the Humane Society as needed

Welcome to Georgetown County. Below are some commonly asked questions about the domestic and wild animals in our area.

All dogs must be contained/restrained at all times. Your dog must be contained by a fence (that your dog cannot get out of), an underground electronic fence (that your dog adheres to), by a chain or a cable tie out or runner, or secured in your home. The owner or keeper of the dog must ensure that the dog, even while on the owner or keepers property, is not allowed to roam. When a dog is taken out for a walk it must be kept on a leash or under the control of a responsible person to whom the dog is obedient on command. One reason for the leash law is to protect others and your pet from harm. The leash law is also enforced in the public parks and on school grounds. Some parks and beaches have restrictions on dogs, so please read and adhere to the signs.
Dogs naturally bark to alert their owners, however some dogs can get into the habit of nuisance barking. This can become a problem. Try to be aware of your dog's habits, and correct unnecessary barking, (your neighbors will appreciate it). For assistance in controlling a nuisance barker contact a pet supply store or your veterinarian for humane correcting devices. If you have a complaint about a chronic barker contact the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office.
(County Code 13.8-2 addresses dogs creating a noise disturbance across a real property boundary or within noise sensitive zones)

In the event that you lose or find an animal contact the St. Frances Animal Center (843) 546-0780 and Animal Control to notify them that assistance is needed. Always have a collar on your dog or cat! (They cannot tell someone whom they belong to). If you need a stray/loose dog picked up, contact the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office at 546-5101.

If you have a question pertaining to the animal laws or would like to make a complaint please contact the Sheriff's Office at 546-5101.

Certain wildlife can become problems. Here are a few tips that may minimize visits from unwelcome animals.
- Remove any pet food from outside your house after the pet has been fed.
- Secure garbage containers and eliminate garbage odors.
- Clean up birdseed scattered on the ground beneath feeders.
- Securely close all entryways to access beneath trailers or houses (including garage doors).
- Do not approach or handle wildlife that appears friendly.
- Don't leave small children outside unattended.
- Don't allow pets to run free.

For Further information regarding wildlife please contact the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources at 546-8523.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Whom do I contact concerning animal control issues (example: wild dogs)?
Contact the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office 843-546-5101.

Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Response after hours only to emergency calls.